The 2018 APA Visionaries films
are now available on HBO platforms.
#HBOVisionaries #HBONow #HBOGo
HBO Asian Pacific American Visionaries is a short film competition sponsored by HBO that provides emerging directors of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent the opportunity to showcase their work.
Judged by a panel of HBO executives, industry leaders, and fellow APA filmmakers, the competition seeks to identify cinematic storytellers who offer unique perspectives of the Asian Pacific American experience. The theme for the 2019 APA Visionaries Short Film Competition centers around the modern APA experience. Films should explore life in today’s digital, information age from the unique perspective of an Asian Pacific American cinematic storyteller.
In addition to receiving cash prizes, the three films will be selected to make their premiere at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival in May 2019 and offered the opportunity to license their film to premiere exclusively on HBO and/or its platforms during Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in May 2019.
Film premieres will be at HBO's sole discretion.
1. Director must be a resident of one of the 50 United States or Washington, D.C.
2. Films must have been directed by a person of Asian or Pacific Islander descent [i.e., descendants of the people of the Far East, Southeast Asia, Indian subcontinent or Pacific Islands (China, India, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands and Samoa)].
3. Director must be at least 18 years of age and of the age of majority in their state of residence (i.e., 19 years of age in Alabama and Nebraska; 21 years of age in Mississippi) as of 7/11/18.
4. Running time (inclusive of credits): 10-15 minutes. Film must be a minimum of 10 minutes in length; submissions shorter than 10 minutes in length will be disqualified. Films must be a maximum of 15 minutes in length (inclusive of title sequence and closing credits); if a submission is longer than 15 minutes in length, only the first 15 minutes of the film will be judged.
5. Films must be in the English language or contain accurate English subtitles (common foreign words/phrases are acceptable without subtitles).
6. Film must be a Festival Premiere (i.e., Film must have had no previous major festival screenings under its current or any former title, or in any form that is, in HBO’s opinion, substantially similar to or derivative of the current film) through 5/31/18.
7. Film must have commenced principal photography on or after October 1, 2017.
8. Film must not have had any previous exhibition on broadcast or cable (by means of any method or medium) or online.
9. Employees of Home Box Office, Inc., Time Warner Inc., Don Jagoda Associates, Inc., The Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment, Visual Communications, The Center for Asian American Media, Vimeo, Inc., and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible.
10. Once completed, upload your Film to your Vimeo.com account, password protected with a “screener password”. Visit www.hbovisionaries.com and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Official Submissions Form and Official Short Film Competition Release with the required information to be entered into the Competition.
11. Limit one entry per person.